Thursday, December 13, 2007

GOD JUL!

To blog or not to blog. We no longer have cute babies, little girls or boys doing cute things, therefore we don’t have much to offer in pictoral excitement ….however we have Bailey and Grampa and they are cute. It all happened when I looked at Natalie’s Haloween blog and she was reminiscing about early Haloween memories. The thought came that “I can do that”. Then in Sunday School a few weeks ago, someone (Pres. Jensen) made the comment that the Fishes were probably the only ones there who could remember the depression. Thinking about how many years ago that was does give us some clout in blogging skills of memories.. So here I am, a blogger. I have no idea where that word came from, it sounds like a plumbing problem. So, because it is Christmas, and because every year decorating the Christmas tree is a spiritual experience, I want to share a favorite poem with you. It is written by Lowell M. Durham Jr. When we had the LDS bookstore, every Christmas we would receive a 3 lb. box of candy from Deseret Book, with a card and a poem, several were written by Brother Durham who I think held the position with DB that Sherri Dew now has. It is called:

The Sifting

December starts the sifting
Through old orange boxes carefully packed
By hands wanting to save the traditions
From little hands that don’t know the ritual.

Mother’s windless winnowing through layers
Of lights and gold, stars and clothespin soldiers,
Is a sifting that renews remembrances of Christmas
Like a quiet accumulation of new snow.

She finds it there – in a safely protected corner,
A box in a box, a treasure swaddled in tissue,
Grandmother’s ancient ornament glowing with visions
Of all the Christmas times that were.

And now, held like an eggshell by hands too young,
The warm angularities of light teach again
The wonder of this new Christmas
And of all the Christmas times that ever were.

God Jul! Enjoy the photo memories. No captions as I have not learned how to do that….yet. I think you will recognize who they are.....and this is just the beginning...

3 comments:

Seth, Sarah and the kids said...

What a sweet poem....I am SO enjoying that you are on here, posting and blogging away!! Merry Christmas!

Jenny said...

I can't tell you how excited I am that you are doing this. Welcome to the blogging world. Thanks for the memories. I can remember the holly in the nose day like it was yesterday. I also love the poem. My grandchildren decorated my tree this year and it was so like that poem. I love you

Kizzie said...

Gramma Fish has a blog!! :) Welcome!!
I love all the pictures, they're so cute!