Thursday, January 31, 2008

Forty Years Ago........

We recently received an invitation in the mail to participate in the 50th Anniversary of the Monterey Bay Stake in California. It was created in 1958. We joined the church in 1960 and I don’t think we realized at the time that it was a new stake. Of course we were not familiar with the workings and changes in the geography of the church in relation to the growth of the membership. We joined the end of October and in December there was a Stake Conference in Seaside. I remember being very impressed with the number of “Mormons” who were packed into the gymnasium of the Seaside building, which was at the time in a building program to enlarge the building. Having been in the church just a few weeks, I only knew a few of the members of the Salinas Ward which was meeting in the old church on Iverson Street. Seeing the members fill up the gym was quite impressive. Jim Wallace was the Stake President, and Varon Jensen was our Bishop. I was a young mom with three little children, who were not feeling good, so Dad and I took turns attending the meetings. I went to the morning session and was greeted by our Missionaries. Their enthusiasm and love made me feel welcomed and comfortable. I took a seat just a few rows from the front. The stage area was also filled with many men, but I only recognized President Wallace and my missionaries, Elder Olavesen of Idaho and Elder Day of Salt Lake City who continued to smile at me. A visitor from Salt Lake City was introduced and spoke about missionary work and how the Lord could work with two young men, a potato farmer from Idaho and a city slicker from Utah who could teach the gospel and change the lives of people. It took my attention, as he must be talking about my missionaries. He went on with his talk and asked how many in the congregation were converts to the church. I proudly put my hand up with the rest and was surprised to see how many others were also converts. He then asked how many had been in the church, 5 years, 1 year, 6 months and eventually it got down to just a few of us. The speaker then pointed to me and said, “Sister would you please come up here and bear your testimony?” I felt like my body had turned to jelly. If I hadn’t seen those two smiling faces, I would never have made it up the steps to the stage. I remember telling the Elders when I said I would be baptized, that I would never be able to get up and talk or give my testimony, and there I was. I found some friendly faces in the audience which gave me courage. I have no idea today what I said, but I will never forget that life changing experience or the hand shake that I had with the visiting man from Salt Lake City, Gordon B. Hinckley.

4 comments:

Auntie M said...

I love to hear that story. It just confirms the things I know to be true and reminds me of all the reasons I love you. You are an amazing Mother!

Amy said...

What a lucky man he was to get to shake my Mother's hand!

Jenny said...

And now we know the rest of the story! I never knew that. I am so glad you wrote this down. See you are doing your life history! I love you Momma...thank you for answering the door and listening to the Elders and for being so faithful.

Seth, Sarah and the kids said...

gramma you write so beautifully. i am glad these little tid-bits of your life are being shared with us all! they are so sweet and meaningful. i love our own family "history".